Friday, January 15, 2010

Raising Money for Kids

I have been sitting around thinking what to do to raise money for the kids I love in Guatemala. I refuse to ask for donations. I've got some ideas, and I have to make sure it's all legal, but here they are, and if you're interested in any of the products, please say so, and I'll try to get all the stuff you ask for. My hope is to send $500.00 back to Nuevos Horizontes from "giving" away products from Guatemala and Honduras in exchange for pledges for donations to Horizontes.

I can bring back 3 boxes of NICE Honduran cigars. I'm hoping to receive pledges of at least $300.00 on these boxes.

2 bottles of aged rum. I'm hoping to receive pledges of $120.00 for this.

Te de Jamaica or Hibiscus tea. This is excellent for blood pressure and is really expensive in the states. I can bring back a pound of dried petals, which is ALOT. I can probably give for a promise of $25.00 to Horizontes per quarter pound. It really needs agave to taste good, and I like it weak and cool. It's bitter otherwise. I can bring back some sweet concentrate, but it definitely isn't as healthy. For concentrate I'd need $20.00 per bottle. The bottle is really big.

Coffee, of course. I'll buy straight from the workers, so I won't be giving to the companies that feed Guatemalan workers horse adrenaline calling it "vitamins." It'll be from Justicia Solidaria, an excellent co-op formed in the face of the 80's genocide. I'm not expecting to make much money from that, so I just require shipping costs and money ahead of time, because they do sell at carro prices. Pretty much, that's just to support the co-op, not the kids.

I'd be losing money on this, so please don't worry on where the money is being allocated. My donation is the wholesale price of the products. If you're interested about any of these, please write me at durhamm@eou.edu

Thanks for looking!

No comments: