Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Old Books

I bought 50,000 books and am going through them.

I love them. I love touching them, the aged wrinkles, stains of coffee, sun-yellowed, sun-bleached, mouse-bitten, musty, beautiful old pages.

This one that I'm holding, Miss Nan (detours)--absolutely worthless online, but it has attitude. Scuffed jacket and on the first page in sloppy old-person Victorian cursive, "With Love, Nannie Eidon." Below that in graceful writing that looks like my mother's cursive, "Gratefully, Charles W. Horner."

The Serf by Guy Thorne. Musty as an attic, its contents as haphazard and old. In the front, a note to the skeptic reader, picking this old tome up for the first time.

this book is surprisingly GOOD! especially if you are interested in 11th century France, termanology, way of life, etc. Well written reminding me of Chelsea Quinn Yarbo's St. Germain books, especially "Better in the Dark" DRB 1995

Move over internet reviews! Nothing can contest a hand written note, secreted away into musty pages. I'm putting aside Flowers for Algernon for now, and snuggling with this crispy old book for the night.

Yum!

No comments: