Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Funny Thing About Banks

In the past few months I've recieved at least five offers from various banks that say "Open an account with us and we'll give you $100.00."

Now there are restrictions to that offer, for instance I usually have to make a purchase every now and then and have to keep the account open for 6 months. But I could do that. I have 600 to put in limbo for 6 months.

I think I'm going to do it. That's a month's rent, after all! A doubling of profit is NOT a bad return.

This reminds me when I was incredibly poor in Portland, Oregon. US Bank had an offer that if a customer waited in line for longer than 5 minutes they would be given $5.00 if they asked. The MLK branch, nearest my old home, ALWAYS had a wait period of at least ten minutes at lunch time. So I'd race down there when I was hungry for some lunch and wait in line, add a few dollars to my account or take a few dollars out, and get the $5.00. I did it so many times I think the branch stoppped doing it. Maybe there were some others doing it, but they must have lost nearly $200.00 on me in the space of six months. I did it about once or twice a week.

Sometimes I don't know how banks turn a profit, and then I remember that too many people use credit like alcoholics use the drink. And then it all makes a terrific amount of sense.

PS This also reminds me of my friend who'd sell blood every week for $20.00 per draw. I tried to do it but I had anemia so that didn't work.

1 comment:

heffalump said...

hi,
i found your blog about a week ago and read through it all. you have a beautiful way with words! please keep writing.
i wanted to e-mail you but couldn't find an address...mine is elise.heffalump@gmail.com if you want to e-mail me...i have a few questions but don't want to be a bother; i think you are a very brave person from everything you have been through.