Thursday, December 2, 2010

Things to Break a Heart.

I work in a domestic violence shelter here for women. There is one young girl staying who has been here about seven months now. She is fourteen and she came pregnant and with only one eye. Last month she gave birth to a little preemie girl, Mindy Jimena. I bought Mindy Jimena a little red woolen traje, with the cutest little cap the day after she was born. I walked in La Democracia and haggled and haggled and told the baby clothes booth all about little Mindy Jimena and the baby clothes lady cried a little, and added red booties for free. I thought, Mindy Jimena, there are people who love you.

Today Mindy Jimena died, and I want to throw red, rotten tomatoes at the whole ugly world.

Her little hands. I loved her little hands. I let them curl around my big fingers and kissed the little tips. I´m so angry and sad.

It is soon Mindy Jimena´s mother´s quinceanaro. What do you do for a quinceanaro when everything is so ugly? Does a cake with chocolate curls and cherries mean one damn thing?

No comments: