Monday, December 28, 2009

Nebraska Book Company

The world of internet scams has hit home for me...again.

This time it's the Nebraska Book Company/Tyson Motsinger scam. It goes like this:

NBC buys a book off a third-party seller--mostly textbooks--and sometimes as soon as three days later demands a refund. The way amazon is set up, the seller is responsible for all books and if they do not give a refund they are kicked off of amazon. NBC does not return books unless the seller sends NBC a certain amount by paypal, and often still does not return the book.

There is no proof of what they do with these supposedly damaged or missing books, but they own 27 textbook bookstores in the US so I presume they resell them and make mucho bucks.

Amazon doesn't ONLY sit back and do nothing, it bans sellers from the website who refuse to refund these scammers.

***growl***

I finally caught them after they ordered two books in a row to the same address but with different names and suite numbers. I checked it out and realized I've been 'refunding' a huge company over $300.00.

To Nebraska Book Company:

You directly stole from CSA survivors when you scammed me. Everything I have extra goes to Guatemala or friends of mine who were raped. You also largely steal from college kids. Hey, at least my pocket book, flush with fuck money, can handle your thieving. These are college kids you're scamming, they don't have much of anything. Who steals from kids anyway?

To Amazon.com

Shame on you!

To Other Victims of this Scam:

I refunded NBC and cancelled all the books I was able to stop en route and refunded them with a letter telling them to never buy from me again. In the long run, it's best for me. I work with amazon, the shittiest book company around, because it is the largest. You might not want to sell off amazon anymore, and I'm looking at my options to quit amazon altogether. Right now I'm not rich enough or powerful enough to do something about it, but when I find some options, I'll opt out of amazon forever and wag my judgmental finger in their scheming, book blaspheming faces.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nebraska Book actually owns/runs more than 250 college bookstores across the country. The company reported better than $600 million in revenues last fiscal year from all of its divisions including the retail store division. It's not the biggest company of its sort in the marketplace but it's plenty big.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the numbers. This is exactly why amazon sided with NBC against some of its own policies (I know it's messy, and both sides have points, but if NBC is really so honest, why does it use dummy names for repeat customers from whom they demand a return?) I wouldn't be surprised if there were a class-action from this, but I'm so incredibly sick and tired of lawsuits I'll be staying FAR FAR FAR away from that. I'll stick to suing rapists, not thieves.

One of the books they demanded a refund for was a first edition, first printing of one of E.B. White's books. I listed it under collector. They demanded a refund saying it had no ISBN number. OF COURSE IT HAD NO ISBN NUMBERS!!!! Whatever. There are more important things to get all steamed about.

Good luck to those who do end up suing.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Take a quick google ride on "nebraska book company scam". The link at the top of the page of hits might be of interest to you.

Anonymous said...

Oh-oh, it's gone. Poof, just like that. The link led to a webpage from an operation representing itself as classactionconnect dot com. But the link to info re: NBC on CAC's main page has also gone poof. Who says the wheels of justice grind slow?

Michelle said...

Yeah, I saw it before it went poof. Go figure.